Playing with your dinosaur companion in the hot summertime–is there anything more Chicagoan? All that’s missing is the deep dish.
Today Darcy reveals her embarrassing dragon collection, we play No Thank You, Evil! via Twitter with Chicago’s favorite dinosaur Sue the T. rex, and we round up some of the best links you should check out this weekend!
As a kid, I played a lot of make-believe. I was a faerie, a dragon, a Parasaurolophus (like my favorite duckbilled dinosaur stuffed animal), an oracle, a warrior, a nature explorer, and a tree (I really liked nature). I read a LOT of fantasy books, mostly about dragons, and knew vaguely of a mysterious game where you played pretend with others to have fantastic adventures: Dungeons & Dragons. I heard you can play a Druid there!
I played my first RPG ever by inferring the rules from a Player’s Handbook and dragging my younger sister and her sleepover friend into a dungeon delve with graph paper. It was a delight, but it was pretty dense reading at my age!
I see No Thank You, Evil! and can’t help but think that I could have been playing for decades longer than I have. I’m excited kids today have so many options!
Our Kickstarter to reprint No Thank You, Evil! and bring this game to new people is almost over. Please help us fund–spread the word, and perhaps gift a copy to a weird dragon-loving kid in your life.
Like all kids who are brought beneath the bones of the huge dinosaur fossil skeletons in the Field Museum, I fell in deep love with the enormous Brachiosaurus and fearsome Tyrannosaurus rex. I never in my wildest dreams might imagine I’d get to play an RPG with one of them.
Today, I’m running No Thank You, Evil! for Sue the T. rex and another special guest! Come watch on our MCG Twitter, and participate in polls to help me Guide the story.
Follow the hashtag #StoriaTime to play along!
Cool Stuff Roundup
- Rowan, age 12, rocked a livestreamed game of No Thank You, Evil!, and was eloquent and insightful in my interview with him.
- Part-Time Gods is almost over on Kickstarter! Shanna is a writer on this project and it seems really cool.
- The CypherCast has Sean K Reynolds on as a guest, talking about Numenera Discovery and Numenera Destiny, Invisible Sun, and the No Thank You, Evil! Kickstarter.
- Mind-bendy mirror artwork that would fit perfectly in Invisible Sun.
Cool Stuff on the Horizon
- Tonight: The Raven Wants What You Have: Our final Development Mode scenes & live show will air on our Twitch channel at 7 p.m. PDT. We’re making themed mocktails–don’t miss it! The finale begins next week.
- Sunday: 6 Hours to Paris: Cypher System, spies, ace GM Marsie Vellan and special guests!
- Tuesday: Illustrator Bruce Brenneise: Breaking Down Doors and Building Up Worlds: How to break into the gaming illustration industry, with landscape illustrator Bruce Brenneise and our own Bear Weiter!
- Tuesday: The final day of the No Thank You, Evil! Kickstarter–let’s fund, and then get to that cloth map stretch goal!
You can get Cypher Chronicles, and other MCG news, delivered right to your inbox! Enter your email address and click the Subscribe button in the right-hand column, and you’ll never miss a post. You can also suggest topics for Cypher Chronicles by emailing us at cychron (at) montecookgames (dot) com.