Iadace, and welcome to Cypher Chronicles!
Exciting Reviews and Interviews
- Escape the Shadow of the real world and find the Invisible Sun. Enter a new Actuality of surreal fantasy where mystical characters wield fabulous powers and struggle to discover the secrets of true existence. Our Kickstarter for this unique and wondrous new game launches Monday morning (August 15th)!
- Some wonderful and clever people have created a G+ community to discuss Invisible Sun and its secrets.
- Gen Con 2016 was amazing. Thank you to everyone who supported us, volunteered for us, visited with us…you rock our world! As Bruce recently wrote, you energize us and we heart you for it.
- The Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ceremony was held on the evening of August 5th, and we were tremendously honored to receive two gold ENnies. The ENnie judges and voters selected No Thank You, Evil! for the gold ENnie in the Best Family Game category, and the Numenera Boxed Set Edition: Reliquary for the gold ENnie in the Best Production Values category. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It means the world to us that you love what we are doing, and it inspires us to keep creating. Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!
- The pre-order period for our new book Torment: Tides of Numenera–The Explorer’s Guide has ended, so you know what that means…the MCG fulfillment team will be hard at work delivering pre-orders this weekend as quickly as possible, so look for your shipping notification emails soon.
- Are you a NUMENERA SUPERFAN from the Exclusive Numenera Boxed Set Edition Kickstarter campaign? If so and if you have redeemed your Kickstarter reward of Torment: Tides of Numenera–The Explorer’s Guide in print, we want you to know it will start shipping this weekend, too.
- Both NUMENERA SUPERFAN backers and customers who pre-ordered Torment: Tides of Numenera–The Explorer’s Guide will receive one poster map in print (which will ship with the book), two hi-res PDF poster maps, and the PDF of the book. The two hi-res PDF poster maps and Torment: Tides of Numenera–The Explorer’s Guide PDF will be delivered next week.
- Due to traveling, Gen Con, moving all the MCG Shop inventory out of storage and into our new mini-warehouse (huzzah!), plus loads of other stuff you don’t want to hear about (like a broken rib–I’m looking at you, Charles, con-crud, first day of school for the kids, and out-of-control to-do lists) we are behind on answering customer queries and shipping orders. We will work through the weekend to rectify this and ensure you receive the service you deserve. In the meantime, here are some photos to enjoy.
- Things are progressing with our UK shipping center, but are moving more slowly than we’d like them to. But look…how cool is this?!? A letter from Her Majesty, postmarked from Malta, arrived while we were at Gen Con. It appears (fingers crossed!) that we need to jump through only a few more hoops and our UK shipping center will be up and running. We’re sorry we can’t give you an opening date for the UK shipping center at this time, but getting it up and running is a priority, and you’ll hear us shouting from the mountain tops when it opens.
Crowdfunding Campaigns and Other Things We Love
- John Kovalic is doing it again! That’s right, it’s time for Insane Charity Bike Ride 2016. Help John raise money to provide healthy food to low-income families and get some great dork-y swag for yourself!
- Are you a horrible person who loves cats? Then you should buy Cats Against the World, an expansion for Cards Against Humanity. Feel horrible about yourself while helping to improve the lives of homeless and sick cats in Southern California.
- THE SIOUX CHEF: A Native American Restaurant, by The Sioux Chef™️: “Help us create the first fully Indigenous restaurant experience, featuring healthy local Indigenous Foods & Native American culture!”
- Electrum Campaign Coins, by Campaign Coins: “Wicked black metal coins for fantasy and horror tabletop games.”
- Worldographer: Hexographer 2 – Easy Map/World Creator, by Inkwell Ideas: “New version of the popular world mapping software! New/updated features: better child maps, undo/redo, line/text tools, note generator.”
- Bryt Socks 2.0: The Ultimate Colorful Socks, by Bryt: “25 unique sock designs crafted by 8 proven features. Not for the faint hearted. International backers receive an additional pair free.”
- Bones of the Coast – A Comic Anthology of West Coast Horror, by Cloudscape Comics: “Bones of the Coast is a 220-page full-colour comic anthology of horror inspired by the Pacific Northwest, featuring indie cartoonists!”
- Si Spencer is creating a non-gender, non-sexuality specific novel about “scary funny hurty love.” Follow the progress on Patreon.
- A puzzle book with only five pages should be simple to solve, right? Maybe not. Check out Brady Whitney’s beautiful, complex Codex Silenda.
- Watch the first test flight of a real-life glider modeled after a flying device that appears in Hayao Miyazaki’s manga and anime, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
- What can grow up to 8 feet (2.4 meters) tall, stink like rotted flesh, and draw a large crowd eager to see and smell it? The Amorphophallus titanum at the New York Botanical Garden.
- What are these cryptic structures made of berms of piled rocks and earth that stretch in spidery geometric patterns across the Ustyurt Plateau of Uzbekistan?
Got something you’d like to see published in Cypher Chronicles next week? A cool blog post you’ve written about our games, scientific news that inspires your The Strange campaign, an Atlas Obscura photo that makes you dream of the Ninth World, a Kickstarter campaign that kindles your imagination, a charity event near and dear to your heart…share whatever you think would inspire Team MCG and would also be a good fit for Cypher Chronicles. Send your recommendations to email@example.com (submitting a recommendation does not guarantee publication).
Do you like us? Do you really like us? You can play an important role in helping us thrive and create more great games: Leave a review at DriveThruRPG, Amazon, or with your local game store owner. Share these chronicles with other gamers you know. Invite those you love to sit around a table with you and delve deep into their imagination to create shared memories that will last a lifetime.
P.S. You rock.
Hey, look! Now you can subscribe to get these blog posts right in your inbox. Right down there, at the bottom of this post! Just enter your email and you’ll never miss a post (we won’t use your email for anything else, we promise). We’ve also added an easy way to share these posts on social media. You should see the buttons right at the bottom of this page!
Keep up with MCG! Follow Monte Cook Games, the Weird of Numenera, and The Strange RPG on Twitter; like Monte Cook Games, The Strange, or Numenera on Facebook, and subscribe to our MCG channel on YouTube. We also have a Pinterest account, which isn’t news, per se, but it has lots of pretty pictures.
Also, don’t forget: If you need us for anything or have questions, we’re right here.