Monte Cook’s birthday is Monday, January 29th. It’s his 50th, which is kind of a significant number to most of us. In addition, 2018 marks 30 years as a professional game designer for Monte, and that also seems like a pretty significant anniversary. So we’d like to celebrate, and we invite you to join us.
We’ve chosen Saturday, January 27th for our day of celebration. Here’s what we have in mind: Gamers across the country and around the world playing games or adventures Monte created—from Rolemaster to D&D to Numenera.
Calling All Gamers!
We’d love it if you took part—and if you do, we have something cool for you to commemorate the event! The best part: To participate, all you need to do is something you love doing already: Play a game. Play one of Monte’s games—any game or adventure he’s written over his 30-year career—on Saturday, January 27th. What should you play? That’s totally up to you, but some of the games Monte is most proud of include:
- D&D 3E
- Arcana Unearthed
- Monte Cook’s World of Darkness
- And, of course, Numenera and the Cypher System
In a career as storied as Monte’s there are literally dozens—hundreds, really—of other options, and any of them are great.
That’s all you need to do to be part of it, but we’d like to make a slightly bigger deal of things. Here’s what you can do to really help make the most of the event—and get the most out of it.
- Organize your game in advance, including who you plan to game with on the 27th.
- Let us know about your game on our RSVP page. We’d love to have a sense in advance of how many people will be participating. Don’t be shy—the RSVP form is really short and will only take a moment or two.
- Play your game on Saturday, January 27th. Have a great time!
- Post photos and stories about your events on social media, with the hashtag #HappyBirthdayMonte—that’s how Monte will see them!
- Afterwards, report your game by returning to the RSVP page. Let us know who played, and give us your address. We’ll send commemorative cloisonne pins for you and the members of your gaming group.
That’s it. It basically boils down to playing your game and letting us know about it—and then we send you a little gift to commemorate the event!
Calling All Retailers!
We’d love to have retail stores involved as well, and taking part is just as easy. The short version: Simply host one or more games or adventures designed by Monte on Saturday, January 27th. See the list above for some of Monte’s favorites, but really anything he’s written or designed over the past 30 years is great.
But that’s not all: We can support your event with a free retail kit. It contains promo material to help announce and promote the event and a supply of commemorative cloisonne pins to give to participants. In addition, if you schedule an event and order a kit, we’ll promote your store on the MCG website. All of this is free to you, and requires no reporting—just order your kit and run your event!
To sign up and get your kit, contact Darcy at [email protected] or 855-686-3637, extension 2.
We can’t wait to celebrate this event with you!