Do you love Numenera, the Cypher System, No Thank You, Evil! and our other games? Do you love the best four days in gaming? Do you love running RPGs and welcoming new, enthusiastic gamers into our fantastic community?
This is our call-out for GMs and demoers for Gen Con 2020. Gen Con is many months away, but if you’re thinking of attending it’s not too early to start planning for the show. You can run official MCG adventures, or (and this is new for 2020!) you can run adventures you design, or any of your favorite existing MCG adventures, under the umbrella of official MCG events.
What’s In It for You?
Running games at Gen Con is a blast, and the community of MCG GMs is wonderful and welcoming. Many of our GMs comment that hanging out and running games with each other and us is one of the most memorable aspects of Gen Con. And that’s not all. If you run at least one standard, four-hour game session, or four hours of MCG demos, you’ll get:
- An exclusive softcover book that includes all of the 2020 MCG Gen Con adventures. This book won’t be available in print anywhere else.
- Premium seating at all MCG seminars and non-adventure events.
- Our thanks, the thanks of your players, and a sense of a job well done!
If you run two standard game sessions, or some combination of games and demos totaling at least 8 hours, we’ll add:
- A GM goodie bag, full of cool and useful stuff for GMs. (While the details aren’t fully worked out yet, in past years they’ve contained about $50 worth of fun and useful stuff.)
If you run games/demos for us for 12 hours or more, we’ll add:
- A GM badge. That’s right, your Gen Con badge is free! (Please note: Depending on the timing, if you’re getting a hotel room via the Gen Con system, you might still need to register and pay for your regular Gen Con badge before hotel registration opens. If that happens, you can swap your purchased Gen Con attendee badge for a Gen Con GM badge at the show on Thursday of the con, and get a refund for the badge you purchased.)
You Can Design and Run Your Own Adventures!
New in 2020: if you have your own Numenera or Cypher System adventure you’d like to run, or if you’d like to run any existing adventure published by Monte Cook Games, you can now do so as an official MCG event! Here’s how it works:
- Commit to run at least one session of an official MCG Gen Con 2020 adventure.
- Let us know how many sessions of your own adventure(s), or existing adventures published by MCG, you’d like to run. If you want to run an adventure of your design, it will need to meet our content standards, run in a complete four-hour session, and allow for up to six players.
- In December, we will need some information: the game line, the title, an overview of your adventure, and your preferred date and time for running it at Gen Con. We may have some feedback for you, and we cannot guarantee that you’ll get the time slot you’ve requested (but we’ll try!).
- In early January, we’ll need to review a complete draft of your adventure. (We’ll provide guidelines for what that needs to include.) At that time, assuming it all looks good, we’ll submit it to Gen Con as an official MCG event!
Great! So What’s Next?
Whether you want to run only official MCG adventures, help out with demos, or run some of your own adventures, here’s how it works:
- Let us know you’re interested through this survey.
- If you tell us you’re interested in running your own adventures, or existing adventures published by MCG, we’ll contact you in December to get the basic information on your adventure. Then in January, we’ll contact you to get the full draft of your adventure.
- We submit adventures to Gen Con in late January. Shortly after all the adventures are approved by Gen Con, we’ll contact you to schedule the events you’re running, along with demo times and any similar activities.
- We provide you with the official adventures in PDF format a month or so ahead of Gen Con, and then in print, along with all the pre-generated characters and other handouts you need, at the show.
- We ask you to attend a meeting Wednesday evening at Gen Con. That’s where you’ll get your goodies and have a chance to meet the other GMs and the MCG staff. (If you won’t be there Wednesday evening, we can make alternate arrangements.)
- You run your games/demos, meet new gamers, and have a great time!
We ask that you be:
- 18 years of age or older (with exceptions, especially for demoing No Thank You, Evil!);
- Friendly, kind, patient, trustworthy, helpful, outgoing, organized, well-groomed, and punctual;
- Able to interact with many different personality types in a calm, friendly manner;
- And committed to the games you sign up for. We have to plan around your sign-ups, so please don’t sign up if you’re in doubt.