The Estate Foundation is a scientific organization with a mission of helping us all gain a better understanding of our world. The Estate Foundation is focused on the free exchange of ideas and information and works in every field of scientific research to better the lot of humanity. To further this mission, The Estate Foundation works to enable the free exchange of research between countries, corporations, and other organizations.
The Estate Foundation is actually a front for a secret group in the setting of The Strange RPG that monitors suspicious activity on Earth and recursions. When artifacts go missing, when unexpected things happen in recursions, or when recursion creatures cause trouble on Earth, the Estate Foundation sends its agents to investigate and deal with it.
Since October, MCG has been tweeting #EstateMission plot hooks from @TheStrangeRPG on Twitter every week. Now’s your chance to be a part of it—we’re having an #EstateMission tweet contest!
Here’s the deal: Submit a plot hook (or several plot hooks—as many as you’d like) as a reply to a specific post on Twitter, tagged with #EstateMission. Starting on February 27th, 2017, we’ll have the MCG team review these submissions. We’ll announce five winners on or around Wednesday, March 8th!
In addition to fame, celebrity, many hurrahs from those of us at MCG, and general satisfaction in a world well designed, here’s what you’re vying for!
- Winners: The five winners will each receive a $10 gift certificate to the MCG webstore. The winning authors’ names will be listed on the MCG website. Their missions will be tweeted from @TheStrangeRPG over the following five weeks.
- Honorable Mentions: MCG may quote any number of submitted plot hooks (and the names of the people who submitted them) in the web article announcing the winners.
The Official Rules
The rules for this contest are:
- Your plot hooks must be posted as a reply to this Twitter post by midnight PST on Monday, 27 February 2017.
- The plot hook can be no longer than 140 characters, must be text-only (no images or hyperlinks), and must include the text “#EstateMission”
- You may submit as many plot hooks as you like. They should all be awesome.
- Subject to the restrictions below, all plot hooks submitted by the deadline above will be included in the judging and eligible to win.
- Submitted plot hooks must, of course, be compliant with the rules and setting of The Strange, as presented in its line of game supplements.
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Completeness: Does the plot hook have enough information for a GM to use it in an adventure?
- Recognizability: If the plot hook refers to a recursion not described in the RPG, is its source obvious enough that a GM would recognize it?
- Creativity: Is the plot hook evocative and compelling? Would you want to use it in your game?
- Playability: Will the plot hook work in most The Strange campaigns?
Monte Cook Games, employees of Monte Cook Games, and those employees’ immediate family members are not eligible to take part in the competition. Any plot hooks submitted by these entities will not be considered by the judges.
Entrants must have an email address that is valid and associated with the Twitter account by which the entrant posts the plot hook.
The decisions of the judges are final. Monte Cook Games retains the right to disqualify any entry, for any reason, at its sole discretion.
Winners will be announced on our around March 8, 2017.
(And don’t forget to check out the Strange Box on Kickstarter!)